A former Royal Air Force Canberra bomber and reconnaissance aircraft has returned to Malta on a ship.
Canberras were a regular sight at RAF Luqa from the 1950s right through to 1979 when the British base was closed. An example also featured at the Malta Int'l Air Show before all types were withdrawn in 2006.
Malta Air Traffic Services bought this model from a private collector. Once re-assembled, it will be displayed close to the Control Tower at the airport, not far from where Canberras used to be parked in rows on the airport apron.
The aircraft unloaded at Malta Freeport used to carry the serial number WT483 and last saw service as a trainer 25 years ago. It was then parked at Long Marston Proving Grounds before being dismantled to be brought to Malta.
The Canberra will be transferred to the Aviation Museum at Ta' Qali once space becomes available with the building of a new hanger.
The Canberra - a twin-engined jet - entered service in 1951 and for years was one of the best bombers in the world - Britain even sold some Canberras to the U.S. The aircraft served for more than half a century, even seeing service in the first Gulf War and Afghanistan.
Ironically, in the first years of aviation, most of the first aircraft to be based in Malta also used to be shipped to Kalafrana, where they were assembled and towed to Hal Far airfield.