Jadran was built, for the then Royal Yugoslav Navy, by HC Stülcken & Sohn shipyard, in Hamburg, and launched on 25-Jun-1931. She was officially commissioned on 6-Sep-1933 in Split.
During the German invasion of Yugoslavia in Apr-1941, the ship was captured by the Italians and later renamed Marco Polo. After the capitulation of Italy in 1943, the ship lay abandoned in Venice and began to decay.
At the request of the Yugoslav government, the ship was returned back in 1947. On her return, the ship required urgent restoration. Her repairs lasted from 21-Apr-1947 to 17-Dec-1948 at the Sava Kovačević marine-technical repair bureau. The ship was ready was sailing again.
From 1947 and 2006, the ship served with the navy of SFR Yugolsavia (up to 1992) and then the FR Yugoslavia/State Union of Serbia and Montenegro (up to 2006). After the break-up of State Union of Serbia and Montenegro, the ship passed on to Montenegrin Navy